Hispanic Heritage Month, recognized September 15 to October 15, is a time to celebrate and honor people of Hispanic heritage who have influenced America in a monumental way and learn about their impact on American culture.
Infinity Rehab recognizes Hispanic Heritage Month and the accomplishments of Hispanic culture, both within our company and the country.
Quick history facts
This observance started as a week in September 1968. Representative Esteban E. Torres proposed the month-long observance in 1987 to “properly observe and coordinate events and activities to celebrate Hispanic culture and achievement.” President George Bush declared the 31-day period in 1989.
Here are more facts about Hispanic Heritage Month:
- September 15 was chosen as it is the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
- Chile and Mexico also celebrate their independence in this period.
- The month also occurs when the Day of the Races is observed, a cultural and public holiday in many Latin American countries.
Understanding cultural terms
- The terms Hispanic, Latino, and Latinx refer to a person’s culture or origin.
- Latino refers to those from Latin America, short for Latino Americano.
- Spanish is a gendered language. Therefore, the term Latino follows this convention, while Latinx is a gender-neutral and non-binary alternative term.
Ways to celebrate
- Educate yourself on Hispanic Heritage. Start at gov do some of your own research.
- Learn about Mexican Independence Day, marking the historic anniversary of the country’s independence from Spain.
- Support Hispanic-owned businesses.
- Try some traditional Hispanic recipes – click the links below to start cooking!
Empanadas are crescent-shaped pastries filled with a variety of ingredients from savory to sweet. Many cultures have their own spin on empanadas – here are just a few!
Also called grilled Mexican street corn, this recipe takes a whole new approach to corn on the cob.
Put this traditional Cuban dish in the slow cooker in the morning and have dinner cook itself! Serve over white rice with a side of black beans and sweet plantains.
Discover more by following Infinity Rehab on Facebook. Download our flyers below that include everything in this blog article
Hispanic Heritage Month-English
Hispanic Heritage Month-Spanish